August 27, 2012

War of the Makeup Removers

Hey there,

Today's post is not going to be super interesting but it's something I wanted to talk about anyway; makeup remover. I'm not the type of person who spends big bucks on designer brand skin care, though I'm more than happy to spend excessive amounts on fancy makeup. My reasoning for this is that my makeup will last me a very long time whereas skin care is used once or twice a day and if I can barely afford to buy the cleanser, toner, moisturiser etc. once, then how the hell am I meant to find the cash to buy the whole set again in 2-3 months?

Anyway, I also feel that purchasing expensive makeup remover is a massive waste of money as I personally only ever use it to take off eye makeup and as long as it's not some supermarket home brand I'm pretty much cool with whatever. 


I recently purchased Nivea Daily Essentials Extra Gentle Eye Make-up Remover when I couldn't find my usual makeup remover on the shelves and thought I'd give it a go. Notice that it is specifically an eye makeup remover and I thought that meant it would be better than my previous (eye and face one). How wrong I was. I cannot stress enough how disappointed I am with this product. I know it's cheap but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be able to perform it's job. Eyeshadows, liner and the like came off just fine but my mascara would. not. budge.   I'm not talking waterproof either, I'm talking about an everyday, run-of-the-mill, better-not-cry-or-you'll-have-black-streaking-down-your-face mascara. Instead it just made it flaky and made my eye area really sensitive as I had to resort to rubbing on the lashes to try and remove something. A truly terrible product that I would absolutely not recommend, even for only a few dollars. 


Now on the flip side, I managed to hunt down a bottle or my beloved Garnier 2 in 1 Waterproof Make-up Remover a few days ago and I have to say, I appreciate it's brilliance so much more now. It takes of my mascara, waterproof or otherwise in one fell swoop and is just all around amazingness. 


Should you be in the market for an affordable makeup remover, I would definitely recommend the Garnier. 

Have a great day,

~ Sam

P.S. photo quality is extra crap today, sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment